Microbiome therapeutic products, with their novel composition as well as the mechanism of action, provide a safer alternative. Several indications such as C. diff. Infection, where recurrence of the disease is a major issue; microbiome therapeutics have demonstrated promising results in clinical studies and appear to become a treatment of choice. Additionally, researchers have been putting significant efforts into establishing the role of microbiome therapeutics in treating other indications as well. Indications such as skin disorders and oncology have drawn a lot of attention. Next-Generation Probiotics (NGPs), a new class of microbiome therapeutics is increasingly becoming popular with its therapeutic role supported by clinical studies.
The microbiome therapeutics has found its application majorly in the gastrointestinal and infectious disease segment followed by skin disorders with few of the products available in the market and several products in the late stage of development are set to enter the market in a year or two. Overall, C.diff. infection (CDI) is the condition for which most products are in the advanced stage of development and have demonstrated promising clinical results. Companies such as Seres Therapeutics, Inc., 4D pharma plc, MaaT Pharma are among the most leading and extremely active in the global microbiome therapeutics market. Another new class of microbiome therapeutics, next-generation probiotics has also entered the segment with several companies evaluating its role in addressing metabolic disorders such as diabetes, pre-diabetes, and obesity among other indications.
Microbiome therapeutics have drawn significant attention from the medical community with their potential to address the existing unmet need of various clinical conditions. Microbiome Therapeutics Market which accounted for $306.3 million in 2021 is expected to reach $3,204 million by 2032, reporting a CAGR of 24.95% during the forecast period 2022-2032.
The existing microbiome therapeutics market is favored by multiple factors, including the rising geriatric populations coupled with the increasing adoption of inorganic growth strategies by key players in the market.
Segmentation 1: by Target Therapy Area
Segmentation 2: by Region
Impact of COVID-19
There were numerous consequences due to the COVID-19 pandemic, especially because of the reduced access to care for other illnesses. As the number of individuals becoming ill from COVID-19 kept increasing and for the protection of healthy individuals from being affected by the disease, all non-urgent healthcare facilities were suspended as per respective government directives. Even though these measures were necessary, it had a mostly negative impact on the Global microbiome therapeutics market. Some of the major impacts were; interruption of key clinical trial activities, modification of clinical trial guidelines bringing in additional safety measures, and delay in regulatory agencies’ review and approval timeline.
Recent Developments in Microbiome therapeutic Market
- In February 2022, 4D pharma plc announced that it had received clearance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on its investigational new drug (IND) applications for MRx0005 and MRx0029, the two live biotherapeutics (LBPs) indicated for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease.
- In April 2021, 4D pharma plc collaborated with Parkinson’s UK, a non-profit organization, to establish the Patient Advisory Board (PAB), which will help gather patient-centric perspectives to 4D pharma plc and raise awareness about current treatments and associated issues.
- In February 2021, 4D pharma plc announced a clinical trial collaboration and supply agreement with Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, and Pfizer to evaluate MRx0518 in combination with BAVENCIO for the treatment of locally advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma. Under the collaboration, 4D pharma plc intends to evaluate BAVENCIO in combination with MRx0518 as first-line maintenance therapy for patients with locally advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma that has not progressed with first-line platinum-containing chemotherapy.
- The companies Microbiomics Limited (England and Wales) and The Microbiota Company Limited (England and Wales) were dormant throughout 2020 and 2021 and have been dissolved on a voluntary basis following the year end.
Get Free Sample Report - Click Here
Key Questions Answered in the Report
- What are microbiome therapeutics products?
- How has microbiome therapeutics evolved over the years since its inception? What are the major market drivers, challenges, and opportunities in the global microbiome therapeutics market?
- What are the potential indications targeted using microbiome therapeutics products?
- What does the pipeline for the microbiome therapeutics products market look like?
- What is the market size and future potential of microbiome therapeutics products?
- How does the clinical trial landscape look for the global microbiome therapeutics products market?
- What was the impact of COVID-19 on this market?
- Which region is expected to contribute the highest revenue to the global microbiome therapeutics products market during the forecast period?
- What are the key development strategies implemented by the major players in order to sustain them in the competitive market?
- How is each segment of the market expected to grow during the forecast period 2022-2032? Following are the segments
- Target Therapy Area (gastrointestinal and infectious diseases, skin disorders, cancer indications, and other indications)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific (APAC), Rest-of-the-World) ▪ What are the existing partnership landscape and regulations for microbiome therapeutics?
Additionally, BIS Research also offers a dedicated and unique platform to find and access deeptech insights and updates on emerging technologies across industry verticals. Insight Monk, an AI powered deeptech search engine, is a subscription based platform that offers a library of latest market insights and updates based on emerging tech. Learn more about InsightMonk here.